Whole Wheat Orzo With Roasted Veggies And Feta Cheese
This whole wheat orzo salad is delicious hot or cold and is a great dish to make ahead for the busy week or for entertaining. At under 250 calories per serving and chock full of fiber and so many vitamins and minerals, this colorful side dish is a perfect way to enjoy the season’s best veggies while they’re still available!
Ingredients (serves 6):
8 oz whole wheat orzo
1 medium zucchini
1 medium yellow squash
1/2 medium onion (I like to use vidalia onions)
1 clove garlic, minced
10-15 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
3 oz reduced-fat feta cheese
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick vegetable oil cooking spray
- Dice zucchini, yellow squash and onion. Place on baking sheet and add minced garlic, canola oil, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper and salt. Bake in oven for about 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Boil water and cook orzo according to directions on package.
- Add tomatoes to roasted vegetables, stir and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are slightly browned and tomatoes are softened.
- Drain orzo once cooked. Add olive oil to clean pot and add orzo and vegetables. Add feta cheese and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.
The Goods: What’s Inside?
Nutrient Analysis Per Serving
Calories 214 calories, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 4 mg, Carbohydrates 32 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 10 g, Sodium 397 mg, Calcium 72 mg