Coleslaw with Red Cabbage, Broccoli, Carrots and Sunflower Seeds
This lightened up cole slaw puts red cabbage center stage, and doesn’t cover it up with a thick mayo. Instead, veggies are dressed with lemon juice, red wine vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkled with sunflower seeds – rich in healthy, unsaturated fatty acids. It’s a great salad base when topped with a piece of grilled or baked fish, or served as a side on its own!
Ingredients (yields approximately 8 C, or about 16- half cup servings):
4 C red cabbage, shredded
2 C carrots, shredded
1 large broccoli crown
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 C red wine vinegar
1/2 C lemon juice (or the juice from about 1 1/2 lemons)
1/4 C sunflower seeds, roasted and unsalted
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
- Cut broccoli crown into florets, rinse and steam until bright green and slightly tender (you can steam them over a pot of boiling water or in the microwave – covered – on high for about 1 minute).
- Remove broccoli from microwave and set aside to cool.
- Combine cabbage and carrots in a large bowl.
- In a separate, small bowl whisk together red wine vinegar, olive oil and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Squeeze broccoli dry with paper towel and chop into tiny pieces. Add broccoli to slaw mixture.
- Add salt and pepper and pour dressing over slaw. Add sunflower seeds and mix all ingredients. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days.
The Goods: What’s Inside?
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving
Calories 50 calories, Total Fat 4 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrates 4 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 1 g, Sodium 72 mg, Calcium 23 mg