Farro with Roasted Veggies and Sautéed Shrimp
Farro is a whole grain that tastes like a cross between brown rice and pasta – and is full of hearty fiber, protein and taste! Farro and shrimp make this simple dish a protein powerhouse, while the veggies offer a ton of vitamins and minerals. I like to make this dish at the beginning of the week so that I can enjoy the leftovers (hot or cold) throughout the busy week. Just be sure to store the shrimp separate from the farro so that it lasts longer.
Ingredients (serves 4):
1 C farro, uncooked
2 C water or low-sodium vegetable broth (whichever you prefer to use to cook the farro)
1/2 pound shrimp, cleaned
Farro – almost done!
1 medium eggplant
1 medium zucchini
3/4 large red onion
1 red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves
3/4 C mushrooms, chopped
1/2 C reduced-fat feta cheese
1/4 C olive oil plus 1 Tbsp
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
Ready to roast!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Remove skin from eggplant (optional). Chop eggplant, zucchini, red bell pepper (with seeds removed) and onion into pieces of similar size. Dice garlic cloves.
3. Place chopped vegetables and garlic on baking sheet. Add mushrooms, 1/4 C olive oil, and 3/4 tsp each salt, ground black pepper and garlic powder.
4. Roast vegetables in oven until soft and browned (approximately 20 minutes).
5. Place 1 C farro and 2 C either water or low-sodium vegetable broth (whichever you prefer) in small pot. Bring contents to a roaring boil and allow to boil for about 5 minutes. Cover contents with lid and simmer until all liquid is absorbed (approximately 20-30 minutes).
6. Place shrimp in small mixing bowl with remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1/4 each tsp salt, ground black pepper and garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp paprika. Mix contents and transfer to small skillet warmed over medium heat. Cook shrimp until they are pink on the outside and no longer translucent (about 3-5 minutes on each side). Remove from heat.
7. Combine farro with roasted veggies in large bowl and add feta cheese. Top with sautéed shrimp and enjoy!
Shrimp are ready to be cooked!
The Goods: What’s Inside?
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 431 calories, Total Fat 17 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 115 mg, Carbohydrate 46 g, Fiber 8 g, Protein 24 g, Sodium 652 mg, Calcium 131 mg
*Nutritional analysis uses farro cooked with water (not low-sodium vegetable broth)