Baked Chicken with Green Beans, Navy Beans and Tomatoes
This dish offers protein, fiber and a ton of vitamins and minerals for minimal calories (and minimal prep time)! Tomatoes offer lycopene, beta carotene and vitamin C, while green beans are a rich source of vitamins K, C, folate and manganese. Navy beans add even more protein to this chicken dish, as well as heart-healthy fiber, to keep you feeling full. I like to make this dish at the beginning of the week so I have healthy, easy leftovers for the beginning of the busy week.
Ingredients (serves 4):
16 oz thin-sliced chicken breast, raw (4 pieces weighing 4 oz each)
1 1/2 C navy beans, rinsed and strained (I like Eden Navy Beans, No Salt Added)
1 1/2 C green beans, sliced into small pieces (about .5 inches)
1 1/2 C grape or cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
3 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
dash cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray. Place chicken in casserole dish.
3. Evenly distribute the salt, cayenne pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper among each chicken breast. Drizzle 2 Tbsp olive oil over chicken breast and place in oven. Bake until chicken is cooked through – approximately 25-30 minutes. the chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Steam green beans until brightly colored and soft but still tender. *This can be done either by using a steamer or by placing cut green beans in a microwave-safe bowl covered in parchment paper for approximately 1 minute and 30 seconds.
5. Remove chicken from oven. Add navy beans, tomatoes and green beans to casserole dish and distribute so toppings gather around the sides of the casserole dish. Add remaining 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp onion powder. Drizzle remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil over dish and place casserole dish in oven. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Enjoy!
The Goods: What’s Inside?
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 328 calories, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 66 mg, Carbohydrates 22 g, Fiber 8 g, Protein 33 g, Sodium 169 mg, Calcium 97 mg