Unwrapped Shrimp Burrito
In this hot weather, I like to lighten things up. For this dish, I went tortilla-less and made a mixed plate filled with burrito-y goodness. Spicy shrimp, onions, peppers and black beans offer a ton of flavor for minimal calories. Plus, the only grain on this plate is brown rice – a whole grain. This dish lets you spice things up while staying light and cool in the heat.
Ingredients (serves 2):
1/2 lb. large, uncooked, shrimp
1 C brown rice (*Note: I like Trader Joe’s frozen, microwaveable brown rice – it’s ready to serve in just 3 minutes.)
1 green bell pepper
3/4 large onion
1/2 C black beans (*Note: If canned, use a “no salt added” version and rinse under water using a colander. If not using canned beans, beans should be ready to use for this recipe.)
1/4 C salsa (I like Whole Foods Medium Salsa – it has all fresh ingredients and skimps on sugar and salt)
1/4 C guacamole (Try making your own using my simple recipe – here!)
1 oz reduced-fat, shredded Mexican Blend cheese
1 Tbsp olive or canola oil plus 1 tsp
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
dash cayenne pepper (optional – depends if you like your food spicy!)
1. Warm 1 Tbsp oil in large skillet over medium heat. Warm remaining 1 tsp oil in separate, small skillet over medium heat.
2. Wash bell pepper, remove stem and seeds and pat dry with paper towel. Cut into thin slices. Set aside.
3. Cut onion into thin, lengthwise strips. Add to large skillet. Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. On a separate cutting board, cut or pull the tails off of each shrimp. Remove the long vein that runs along the center of each shrimp. Cut each shrimp into thirds.
5. Add peppers and spices to large skillet with onions. Cook another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add shrimp to small skillet. If desired, add extra spices to shrimp skillet. Cook until shrimp are cooked through and no longer translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Stir occasionally.
7. Cook brown rice as directed (if using Trader Joe’s Frozen Brown Rice, pop in the microwave for 3 minutes and let stand 1 minute.)
8. Add cooked shrimp and black beans to large skillet with vegetables. Combine. Add cheese, stir and remove from heat.
9. Place 1/2 C brown rice on each plate. Cover each plate of rice with half the shrimp and veggie mixture. Top each plate with 2 Tbsp guacamole and 2 Tbsp salsa. Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 495 calories, Total Fat 20 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 180 mg, Carbohydrates 46 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 35 g, Sodium 700 mg, Calcium 316 mg
*Note: Sodium content will vary greatly depending on brands used for guacamole, cheese, salsa and beans. This estimation uses varieties with sodium in order to account for a possible range.
3 thoughts on “Unwrapped Shrimp Burrito”
Looks incredible! Such a fun healthy meal for my family. Thanks for sharing. ~Blessings~
Thanks! I hope you like it!
Great idea to leave the wrapping off – looks so fresh and delicious