Spaghetti Squash with Garlic and Olive Oil
Craving pasta, but wishing you didn’t love the starchy stuff? While whole wheat pasta is fine in moderation, it is understandable to wish you were craving something a little healthier. This is where spaghetti squash comes in- tastes like pasta, looks like pasta, but is actually a winter squash that packs in a ton of nutrition with every bite! Spaghetti squash is rich in beta-carotene, which your body converts to vitamin A. The healthy fat in the olive oil aids in the absorption of this fat-soluble vitamin. Also, spaghetti squash is a rich source or vitamin C, vitamin K and potassium! Make enough for seconds – you’re going to want them!
Ingredients (serves 5):
1 medium spaghetti squash (about 3 lbs)
4 cloves garlic
1 medium zucchini squash
1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
1/2 C grape tomatoes, halved
1 C reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
2 basil leaves, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut spaghetti squash lengthwise. Remove pulp. Place on baking sheet (skin facing upward) and bake for 45 mins- 1 hour.
3. After spaghetti squash has been cooking for approximately 30 minutes, dice zucchini and mince garlic.
4. Pour 2 Tbsp olive oil in large skillet and warm over medium heat. Add zucchini and garlic powder. Cook approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add minced garlic, chopped basil leaves and halved tomatoes to skillet with zucchini. Cook another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat.
6. Remove squash from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Pull squash with a fork. It should be easily removed and appear as long, thin, soft strands of spaghetti. If this is not the case, continue to cook squash and resume once squash is finished cooking. Add squash to skillet with vegetables and warm over low-medium heat.
7. Add remaining olive oil, salt and ground black pepper. Add chopped basil leaves to skillet. Cook approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Mix in feta cheese and cook 1-2 minutes. Serve hot.
The Goods: What’s Inside?
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 312 calories, Fat 26 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 16 mg, Sodium 578 mg, Carbohydrates 15 mg, Fiber 3 g, Sugar 6 g, Protein 5 g, Calcium 166 mg
One thought on “Squash Those Pasta Cravings!”
I’m such a big fan of spaghetti squash — thanks for sharing this recipe! 🙂 I’ll have to try it with feta one day soon!