Enjoy this veggie burrito and get a hearty dose of fiber, protein, and a ton of vitamins including vitamin C, and beta-carotene (a precursor form of vitamin A that can be converted by your body). This easy-to-make dinner is filling, completely vegetarian and delicious! Enjoy with a few friends or eat 1/4 of the contents (for one serving) and save the rest for a meal later in the week. Craving more protein? Add in some tofu! However, rice and beans do offer all essential amino acids, when combined, meaning that this meal offers a complete protein – sans meat!
4 whole wheat tortillas (approximately 6″ in diameter)
2 C brown rice (cooked)
2 C black beans (if using canned, rinse and drain prior to using)
1 small onion
1 red bell pepper
2 oz reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
1. If using dried black beans, soak overnight according to package directions. If using canned beans, skip this step.
2. Cook rice according to package directions.
3. While rice is cooking, chop onion and bell pepper. If using canned beans, rinse and drain beans. If using pre-soaked dried beans, remove from fridge and drain.
4. Pour olive oil in medium skillet and warm on medium-heat.
5. Add onion, pepper and spices (chili powder, cumin, ground black pepper). Allow to cook 8-10 minutes, until onion and pepper is tender. Stir occasionally.
6. Once rice is done cooking, add rice and beans to skillet. Allow to cook approximately 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
7. Warm tortillas in microwave (approximately 15-30 seconds).
8. Remove burrito contents from heat. Divide contents between 4 tortillas (or eat 1/4 now and save the rest for leftovers!)
9. Sprinkle cheese (about .5 oz) on top on each burrito, while opened.
10. Wrap burrito by folding in opposite sides. Enjoy!
The Goods: What’s Inside?
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (1 burrito):
Calories 390 cals, Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 8 mg, Carbohydrates 59 g, Fiber 18 g, Sugar 2 g, Protein 17 g, Sodium 368 mg, Calcium 283 mg