Shrimp and Black Bean Fajitas
Craving Mexican food? Have no fear! These tasty shrimp fajitas are spicy, full of flavor and under 500 calories! Packed with protein and fiber, these fajitas will fill you up with good nutrition to fuel your body right! Serve with homemade guacamole and a skinny margarita for a truly indulgent fiesta!
Ingredients (serves 2):
2 multigrain tortillas (try to find one that is under 100 calories and has at least 5g of fiber)
1/2 lb. raw shrimp (8 oz) *fresh or frozen (if frozen, thaw and pat dry before use)
1/4 C canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp chipotle
1 Tbsp reduced fat shredded cheese
1. Combine shrimp and 1.5 Tbsp olive oil in medium sized bowl with 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/8 tsp chipotle. Set aside.
2. Heat one large skillet with remaining olive oil (1.5 Tbsp) over medium heat. Slice onion and add to heated skillet.
3. Wash red bell pepper and remove seeds. Slice lengthwise and add strips to skillet with onion. Add remaining spices (1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder). Cook until onion is translucent and soft and pepper is tender, approximately 10 minutes. Mix occasionally.
4. Heat medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp. Cook approximately 3 minutes on each side, until shrimp is no longer translucent. Once cooked, combine shrimp in large skillet with onion and pepper. Transfer contents of skillet into large serving bowl.
5. Heat tortillas in microwave until warm, approximately 45 seconds.
6. Heat black beans in microwave until warm, approximately 1 minute.
7. Create your fajita! Serve one tortilla with approximately half of the fajita contents. Eat any contents that do not fit in the tortilla with a fork, or make a second tortilla!
The Goods: What’s Inside?
*one serving is one tortilla and half of the ingredients listed above.
Calories 453, Fat 27 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 180 mg, Carbohydrates 24 g, Fiber 8 g, Sugar 6 g, Protein 31 g, Sodium 424 mg, Calcium 307 mg
Add Your Own Guacamole With This Simple Recipe!
Ingredients (serves 6):
2 avocados, soft
1/4 red onion
1/2 medium sized tomato
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/2 jalepeno pepper, cut lengthwaise
1. Cut each avocado in half, lengthwise. Remove large pit from each avocado. Remove inside of avocado with spoon and place in large bowl. Discard skin of avocado.
2. Mash avocado until soft and slightly chunky (I like to use a potato masher)
3. Dice red onion. Add to bowl with avocado.
4. Dice tomato. Add to bowl.
5. Remove seeds and wash jalepeno pepper. Mince pepper and add to bowl. Mix all ingredients together.
6. Add salt and squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lime over guacamole. Mix and chill until cold (approximately 20 minutes or longer). Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 114, Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrates 7 g, Fiber 5 g, Sugar 1 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 55 mg, Calcium 11 mg