Chicken with Spinach and Goat Cheese Topping
This dish is a cinch to make and tastes like you’ve been cooking for hours! Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein and the vegetables top this dish off with a ton of nutrients! Spinach offers folate, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron and many other vitamins and minerals to fuel your body right! Tomatoes not only add color to this dish – the pigment that supplies the red color also gives your body a healthy dose of vitamin A! Goat cheese offers a creamy, satiating feeling to this dish, plus delivers calcium! Don’t let chicken seem like the boring dinner – spice things up and enjoy this dressed up staple!
Ingredients (serves 2):
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (approximately 4 oz each)
3 C spinach, raw
1 small onion
1.5 C cherry tomatoes
1.5 oz chevre (soft goat cheese)
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
*Note: This recipe uses a skillet to cook the chicken. If you would like, you can also bake the chicken in an oven. Drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil over chicken and add spice rub. Bake at 350 degrees (F), until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees (F). Then proceed to step #4.
1. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to medium skillet and warm over medium heat.
2. Rub chicken with spices (cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, paprika, garlic powder)
3. Cook chicken in skillet until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees (F). You will need to flip the chicken when the sides begin turning white.
5. Chop tomatoes in halves or quarters and add tomatoes to skillet with onions. Cook another 5 minutes.
6. Add spinach to skillet and allow to wilt, approximately 3 minutes. Add goat cheese and cook 1 minute.
7. Remove chicken from skillet. Place on plate over paper towel to allow excess oil to drain. Transfer to plate. Pour contents of skillet (spinach, onions, tomatoes, goat cheese) over chicken. Serve hot.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 358 calories, Fat 21 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 76 mg, Carbohydrate 13 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugar 6 g, Protein 33 g, Sodium 278 mg, Calcium 113 mg.