Shredded Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
Okay, I promise after this I will post something about a food that is not in the cruciferous veggie family – but why not try one more recipe involving a member of this nutritious family?! These shredded sprouts take less than 15 minutes to prepare and are a sweet and tangy way to enjoy this vegetable. Also, onions, with their sulfur-containing compounds, boast some impressive health benefits as well and, paired with the sprouts and the balsamic, make for a tasty side dish that can be enjoyed hot or cold!
Ingredients (serves 4)
3 C shredded Brussels sprouts (you can look for bags of shredded sprouts at your grocery store – I like Trader Joe’s! Or, if you prefer, you can cut your own sprouts!)
1/2 large yellow onion
1.5 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 C balsamic vinegar
1/8 C water
1/8 tsp garlic powder
dash ground black pepper
1. Warm olive oil over medium heat in large saucepan.
2. Chop onion. Add onion to olive oil. Cook approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add shredded Brussels sprouts to onion and olive oil. Cook approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add water, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper to Brussels sprouts. Cover and cook 5-7 minutes, until liquid has mostly been absorbed.
5. Remove from saucepan – if there is a large amount of excess liquid then drain. Enjoy hot, or cold the next day!
The Goods: What’s Inside?
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 91 calories, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrates 10 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 60 mg, Calcium 31 mg