Whole Wheat Banana Walnut Muffins
This chillier weather makes me want to bake and enjoy the scent of warm, freshly baked muffins filling my apartment with some hot tea. I slimmed down banana walnut muffins by swapping out some all purpose flour for whole wheat flour, replacing oil with fat free Greek yogurt and increasing the amount of bananas, so the muffins stay moist and sweet – naturally! These muffins are great as a snack to pack for work or school, or amazing with a cup of coffee or tea in the morning. A great bonus? walnuts are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help to decrease inflammation. Who says you can’t have your muffin and eat it, too?
Ingredients (yields 18 muffins):
1 C whole wheat flour
1 C all purpose flour
1.25 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 medium, overripe bananas (*note: it is important that the bananas are almost entirely brown on the outside, or else your muffins will not be sweet)
2/3 C honey
1/3 C light brown sugar
3/4 C 0% fat, plain Greek yogurt (I like Fage)
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C walnuts, crushed or chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium sized bowl. Set aside.
3. Mash 2 bananas with a fork until just mashed (bananas should remain slightly chunky)
4. Beat remaining 2 bananas with honey and brown sugar (about 2 minutes). Add yogurt, eggs, vanilla and beat well for another 30-45 seconds.
5. Mix in about half of the dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula. Add remaining half of dry ingredients. Fold in nuts and mashed bananas to batter.
6. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners. Spoon batter into muffin tins so that each cup is about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for approximately 25 minutes (until the muffins pass the “toothpick test” – a toothpick should come out of each muffin mostly clean). Serve warm or at room temperature.
The Goods: What’s Inside?
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (1 serving is 1 muffin from a batter that makes 18 muffins):
Calories 159, Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Carbohydrates 31 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 168 mg, Calcium 20 mg