Craving pasta? Have no fear! This pasta dish will fill you up without weighing you down! The whole wheat pasta offers fiber and nutrients that aren’t naturally present in refined, white pasta. This will help to pump up the nutrition of this dish and may keep you fuller, longer. Also, this pasta dish isn’t loaded with fat – instead, it contains a ton of veggies, with a modest amount of healthy fat (mostly monounsaturated fat from the olive oil). The fat aids in the absorption of vitamins A and K, both present in this dish from hefty amounts of tomatoes and spinach! The best part about this dish? It can be ready in about 25 minutes! Easy dinners just got a whole lot healthier!
Ingredients (serves 6):
6 oz whole wheat thin spaghetti or angel hair
3 C spinach, raw
1.5 C grape tomatoes
1 container (3.5 oz) low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
2 large cloves garlic
1 small onion
8 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1. Boil water in large pot for pasta.
2. While pasta is boiling, chop onion, and tomatoes and mince garlic. Tomatoes should be cut into quarters.
3. Pour 2 Tbsp olive oil in medium skillet and heat over medium heat.
4. Place onion in skillet and heat approximately 5-7 minutes, until soft and translucent. Stir occasionally.
5. Add garlic to skillet. Continue cooking 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. If the water is boiling at this point (it most likely will be) then add pasta. If you’d like, break pasta in half before adding to water. Stir pasta occasionally.
7. Add tomatoes to skillet. Continue cooking 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spinach and black pepper. Allow spinach to wilt (about 2-3 minutes).
8. When pasta is done cooking (approximately 7-9 minutes), drain. Place remaining 6 Tbsp olive oil in pot and lower to low-medium heat.
9. Add pasta to large pot with olive oil and mix ingredients. Add veggie mixture from skillet to pasta and stir. Heat approximately 2 minutes.
10. Add feta cheese and stir. Heat approximately 2 minutes. Divide into 6 portions and serve.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 319 calories, Fat 22 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Carbohydrates 26 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugars 3 g, Protein 8 g, Sodium 248 mg, Calcium 83 mg