This healthy, vegetarian twist on the classic chicken parmesan will have you fueling up with lighter fare! Eggplant is a hearty vegetable that will fill you up with fiber and plenty of vitamins and minerals. Add sauce and cheese you and you will be eating a decadent Italian dish that tastes fresh, whole and hearty, without overdoing it on carbs or saturated fat.
1 eggplant (approximately 2 lbs.)
12 oz low sodium tomato sauce
4 oz shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp olive oil
nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
1. Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch-thick slices (or as desired). Remove skin from eggplant at this step if you choose (or you can leave the skin on to reap extra nutrients!)
2. Spray nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray on medium or large, non-stick pan and add olive oil. Warm over medium heat.
3. Add eggplant slices and cook until browned (about 5-7 minutes on each side). While eggplant is cooking, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Remove eggplant slices from pan once cooked and place on plate covered with paper towel to drain excess oil. Spray casserole dish with nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray. Layer eggplant with sauce and cheese on top and repeat as necessary, depending on size of casserole dish.
5. Bake in oven until cheese is melted, approximately 10 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!
The Goods: What’s Inside?
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 211, Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Carbohydrates 18 g, Fiber 7 g, Sugars 9 g, Protein 9 g, Calcium 230 mg, Sodium 237 mg