A friend of mine gave me this recipe – and I am so glad that she did! These chickpeas are warm, have a slight crunch and are completely addicting! A great substitute for chips, french fries or buttery popcorn, this snack offers healthy unsaturated fat, fiber, protein and a ton of minerals, all for under 150 calories per serving! Best of all? You will start craving these instead of fried foods – they are just as good, if not better!
Ingredients (serves 4):
1 15 oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 dash salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Open can of chickpeas and place in colander . Rinse and drain. Pat dry with paper towel.
3. Transfer chickpeas to medium bowl. Add olive oil and spices. Mix well with spoon.
4. Lay chickpeas on baking sheet in a single, flat layer.
5. Place baking sheet in oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until desired crunchiness. Mix every 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 146 calories, Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 1 mg, Carbohydrates 17 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugars 0 g, Protein 5 g, Calcium 33 g, Sodium 40 mg
*note: the sodium content of this dish is based on using no salt added beans. By rinsing and draining the beans, you will remove most of the salt if your beans are canned with salt. You can also choose to make your own chickpeas from dried beans with no added salt.