Bibimbap -Style Vegetable Bowl
This veggie bowl is loaded with vitamins and minerals, such as beta-carotene (which our bodies convert to vitamin A), vitamin C, calcium and folate, while also offering fiber, protein, healthy fats and a spicy kick! And the best part? It takes less than 20 minutes to prepare. This is my new go-to dish for busy weeknights!
Ingredients (serves 1):
1/2 C brown rice, cooked (I like to make a lot of rice at once and keep it on hand for dishes throughout the week – just heat it up before everything is finished cooking!)
1/4 C extra firm tofu, cubed and drained (remove excess water by squeezing in paper towel or cloth)
2 carrots, sliced (or about 1/3 C)
1 C spinach, raw
1/2 onion, chopped (or feel free to use shallots or scallions)
1 large egg
1 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp hot sauce (I like Cholula)
Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
Dash ground black pepper
1. Warm oil in medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Steam carrots (you can do this by covering them in a bowl and placing in the microwave for about 1 minute, or steaming them over the stovetop).
3. Add tofu to onions in saucepan. Add spices and mix all ingredients together. Cook until tofu is slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp hot sauce, stir ingredients together and cook another 1-2 minutes.
4. Spray small pan with nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray and warm over medium heat. Crack egg into pan and sprinkle with dash of pepper. Cover with a plate and cook until egg white is cooked, leaving the yolk slightly runny (about 3-5 minutes). Set aside.
5. Add spinach to saucepan with onion and tofu and stir 2-3 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
6. Place rice in bowl. Top with tofu and vegetables. Add egg to bowl and drizzle remaining 1 Tbsp hot sauce over entire dish. Enjoy!
The Goods: What’s Inside?
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving
Calories 434 calories, Total Fat 24 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 186 mg, Carbohydrates 37 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 19 g, Calcium 158 mg, Sodium 385 mg