Tomato Sauce with Summer Squash, Eggplant and Mushrooms
This homemade, chunky, vegetable sauce is a cinch to whip up and combines all the best flavors of summer. This sauce is loaded with beta-carotene, vitamin C and fiber, and skimps on fat and salt, so you can feel good about taking a few heaping spoonfuls. Use it as a topping for pasta, chicken, fish or toss with a whole grain (such as brown rice or quinoa) and enjoy a lower-sodium, fresher tasting sauce than store-bought varieties.
Ingredients (serves 6):
1 large zucchini, sliced into quarters
1 large yellow squash, sliced into quarters
1 small eggplant (about 5″ in diameter), diced
1 medium onion, diced (try to find visalia onions if you can – they’re sweeter and are only available in the spring and summer!)
1 C chopped mushrooms (I like white button mushrooms)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 red or orange bell pepper, chopped
10 roma tomatoes, cut into eighths
3 basil leaves, chopped
1 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp olive oil
Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray baking sheet with nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray. Transfer vegetables to baking sheet. (*Note: You may want to use 2 baking sheets)
3. Drizzle 2 Tbsp olive oil over vegetables. Add spices. Combine well with hands and spread vegetables in a thin, even layer. Place baking sheet in oven and bake until vegetables are slightly browned and soft (about 20 minutes), mixing occasionally.
4. After vegetables have been baking for about 10 minutes, warm remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and cook for about 7-8 minutes, until chunky sauce forms. Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are in oven are cooked.
5. Add vegetables and basil to saucepan and stir. Cook another 10 minutes over low-medium heat. Serve over your favorite dish!
The Goods: What’s Inside?
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 107 calories, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrates 10 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 3 g, Sodium 302 mg, Calcium 32 mg