Steak Salad with Roasted Broccoli and Pine Nuts
Sorry I haven’t written in awhile. My computer was out of commission but now it’s working and I have a ton of amazing recipes and food and fitness tips to share with you – starting with this amazing summer steak salad. During the summer, I like to lighten things up – but that doesn’t mean I want to eat plain lettuce for dinner. This salad has all the taste of summer – grilled steak, fresh veggies, roasted broccoli, pine nuts and a citrus-y vinaigrette – for a satisfying way to eat your veggies and use your grill! Perfect for a warm summer night, this steak dish puts veggies center stage and offers up nutrients like vitamin B12, vitamin C, vitamin K, and beta-carotene.
Ingredients (serves 2):
8 oz lean cut of steak of your choice (I like New York Strip and I prefer to trim the fat around the edges once it’s cooked)
*Note: This salad is also an amazing use of leftover steak if you happen to have any from a previous barbeque!
4 C chopped romaine lettuce
1/2 C cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 C cucumber, sliced
2 crowns (fresh) broccoli (about 2 C broccoli flowerets)
1/8 C pine nuts, raw, unsalted
3 Tbsp olive or canola oil
dash ground black pepper
Dressing: (*Note: Dressing serves 8. Serving size is 2 Tbsp. Store the remaining dressing in the refrigerator for later use.)
1/4 C lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best)
1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
dash ground black pepper
Roasted broccoli – good on its own or in a salad!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash broccoli, pat dry and chop crowns into small pieces. Spread on baking sheet. Drizzle 1 Tbsp oil over broccoli and toss with a spoon to coat evenly.
2.Turn on grill to medium heat. Prepare steak with 2 Tbsp oil and salt and pepper. Transfer to grill. Cook steak as desired.
*Note: All grills cook differently, but I typically cook steak for about 5-7 minutes on each side in order to achieve medium doneness. Let steak sit covered (i.e.: do not cut into it) for about 5 minutes once you remove the steak from the grill, as the steak will continue to cook due to residual heat. The steak should reach an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Place broccoli in oven. Roast for approximately 7-10 minutes, until broccoli is slightly browned. You may need to mix broccoli occasionally to prevent sticking.
4. While broccoli is roasting, heat pine nuts (dry) in small skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until browned, approximately 5-10 minutes.
5. Quarter each cucumber slice. Divide lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber among two plates.
6. Slice steak in half. Divide each half into slices and place on top of lettuce. Add roasted broccoli and pine nuts.
7. Drizzle with a lemon vinaigrette of your choice (or make your own from the recipe below – super easy and healthy!). Enjoy!
To Make The Lemon Dijon Salad Dressing:
Now just pour into a container and store in the fridge!
1. Add each ingredient into a large bowl or salad dressing container.
2. Whisk or shake well until all ingredients are well-combined.
3. Chill in refrigerator until cold (approximately 30 minutes or more). Shake well before using and store in refrigerator.
The Goods: What’s Inside?
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 497 calories, Total Fat 35 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 58 mg, Carbohydrates 11 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 38 g, Sodium 251 mg, Calcium 96 mg
*One serving is half of the salad ingredients listed above with 2 Tbsp of the lemon dijon dressing. This will vary based on dressing used (if substituted) and different steak cuts.