Chocolate Banana Walnut Muffins
These chocolate banana walnut muffins only taste decadent – they’re actually loaded with nutrition for under 150 calories each! Filled with fiber, protein and lower in fat than most muffins, these are the perfect on-the-go breakfast, or great to have with tea as a mid-afternoon snack to keep you going!
Ingredients (serves 12):
3/4 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 C plus 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp butter or butter substitute (I like Earth Balance), at room temperature (option: swap this out for coconut oil)
1/4 C honey
1 Tbsp dark brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 egg plus 1 egg white
1/4 C low-fat (1%) milk
1/4 C 0% fat, plain Greek yogurt
1 oz dark chocolate (at least 72% cocoa), melted (about 2 Tbsp melted)
2 overripe medium bananas, mashed until mostly smooth (about 3/4 C mashed banana)
1/4 dark chocolate chips
3 Tbsp chopped walnuts
Nonstick vegetable oil coking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon) in a medium bowl.
- Combine butter (or coconut oil), dark brown sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, honey, milk and yogurt in a large bowl. Mix with a large spoon until well combined. Add dry ingredients from smaller bowl and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add melted chocolate and mashed bananas to mixture and mix well with a spoon. Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Spray muffin tin with nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray. Use a spoon or an ice cream scoop to scoop the batter into each muffin tin cup, filling it about three-quarters of the way full.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes (check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of each muffin and ensuring that it comes out mostly clean – melted chocolate is alright!). Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before tasting! Store in an airtight container or plastic bag for about 3-5 days
The Goods: Whats Inside?
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (1 muffin)
Calories 146 calories, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 16 mg, Carbohydrates 23 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 226 mg, Calcium 26 mg