Broccoli Cheddar Casserole with Whole Wheat Panko Crumbs
This broccoli cheddar casserole is slimmed down by replacing mayonnaise with O% fat Greek yogurt, replacing heavy cream with half and half milk and using reduced fat cheddar cheese, but I promise you would never even notice! This holiday favorite is no longer just a guilty pleasure – it now offers 9 g protein per serving and contains 186 less calories, 21 g less fat and 5 g less saturated fat per piece than the original version!*
*original nutritional analysis calculated using regular mayonnaise, heavy cream and traditional breadcrumbs
Ingredients (serves 18):
3 1/2 large heads broccoli, cut into florets (about 11 C florets)
1/4 C butter or margarine (I like Smart Balance Light)
1/2 C all-purpose flour
2 C 0% fat, plain Greek yogurt
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 C grated, reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1 1/2 C whole wheat panko
1 C half and half milk
Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Boil broccoli florets until bright green and tender, approximately 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside.
3. Melt butter in medium-sized saucepan. Add 1/4 C flour.
4. Mix Greek yogurt with remaining 1/4 C flour in medium-sized bowl. Take 1 Tbsp of butter/flour mixture and stir into yogurt mixture in order to prevent curdling.
5. Add yogurt mixture, 1/2 tsp salt, ground black pepper, nutmeg, half and half, and 1 C cheddar cheese to saucepan.
6. Cook sauce on low heat until sauce is smooth and thickened, stirring occasionally.
7. Spray 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray. Transfer broccoli into casserole dish and spread in a thin, even layer. Pour cream sauce over broccoli and use a large spoon to distribute sauce and broccoli evenly. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and whole wheat panko crumbs. Add remaining kosher 1/2 tsp kosher salt to topping and bake in oven about 50 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the casserole is heated through.
8. Cut casserole into 6 x 3 rows to yield 20 servings. Enjoy!
The Goods: What’s Inside?
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 112, Total Fat 4 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 8 mg, Carbohydrates 11 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 9 g, Sodium 222 mg, Calcium 110 mg